Friday, May 24, 2013

Never Stop Chasing Birds


Wicca Wacka Wu-Wu, the Whippet from Windyglen--or simply "Wicca" to those who loved her most--died on Tuesday.  She was 15 years old.

Wicca, who was born on a wide open range at the Windyglen Kennel in Redding, daughter of two racing champions, spent the majority of her life in Boulder Creek, CA with her family, both two legged Mavers and four.  She was put to rest peacefully by the family vet Dr. McConnell in the loving embrace of most of her family, with Flidais and Fergus standing watch over her.

Wicca spent the majority of her life being a wild, energetic pup.  She loved chasing after our family cats, seagulls on the beach, squirrels on Irwin Way, and wild baby pigs in the forest (she might have accidentally killed the pig).

A former pack puppy, Wicca embraced the role of pack leader with dignity and grace after Puck, Oenghus and Mab moved on.  She was well mannered and wonderful to travel, cuddle in bed, or go on long hikes with. 

Until her dying day, Wicca was dedicated to following my mom's every footstep (my mom called Wicca "my shadow"), tirelessly licking Fergus' ears (his favorite thing) and begrudgingly accepting Flidais' cuddles.

She was everything you could ever want in a dog and more.  And saying goodbye was one of the hardest things I've ever had to do, even though it was time.

You're a good girl, Wicca.  Have fun chasing those birds with Yoko, Fagan, Puck, Oenghus, Mab and Neasa.  You'll be alive in our hearts forever.

We love you.

6 comments:

  1. Oh, Leith, That's Beautiful. I Still Can't Seem To Manage To Post Anything On Fb, But I Will. Thanks For This. All My Love, mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. Aww, thanks! I love the one of the five dogs together. They all look so happy together!

      Delete
  4. I can't believe Wicca is gone! She was my first introduction to the Whippet breed, and because of her, I hope to get a Whippet of my own someday!

    I'm sorry for your loss, Leith! I still cry some days over Joey's death-- it never seems to get easier when those that love us unconditionally have to move on. I wish the dog life span was as long as a human's, but then I guess we wouldn't have the opportunity to teach children how to mourn in a healthy manner. Dogs are so essential to life and development!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, it's crazy. The pain of losing our animals is so intense, but forming those memories and bonds makes the pain of saying goodbye completely worth it.

      Delete