Sunday, April 21, 2013

Time for Tee

Today was one of those blissfully hot days in San Francisco that I try to cling to and savor with true gusto.  Any day now the fog will blanket everything from Park Presidio to Pacifica, and I might not get to see sunlight until September.
                                                                                                                                          
      

This morning started at Fort Funston, where I had a photo shoot with a foster dog family for an assignment I’m working on.  Even though this meant sacrificing my morning of sleeping-in for “work”, it was easily 80 degrees, not a cloud in the sky, and I got to hang with eight happy dogs at the beach.  I can’t think of a better way to spend a Sunday.

Golden Gate Park (which is actually larger than Manhattan’s Central Park, just FYI) has a golf course.  Who knew, right?  The weather was perfect for faux country clubbing, and Andrew's new clubs looked so shiny and just itching to be scratched up in the sand.  Which left us no choice after my shoot was over but to try my hand at my very first game of golf.  

I mean, I have been mini golfing, which Andrew says doesn’t count.  I say, what could possibly scream “golf pro” more than putting a ball into a bear’s mouth between the blades of a windmill while standing on an island surrounded by a miniature moat?


Anyway, I digress...

I was a bit apprehensive about the game at first.  Aiming little balls into little holes isn’t one of my many talents.  Then the guy at the pro shop told me we could drink beer on the course, and I fell in love.  Can’t wait to go back for my next nine holes!

I’d like to sound magnanimous by saying that Andrew and I didn’t keep score and simply played for the love of the game, but we’re both far too competitive for that sort of nonsense.  I got 87.  I blame the rented clubs, as my form was obviously impeccable.


After golf, Andrew and I tried trekking to the top of Grand View behind our house to see the Lyrid Meteor Shower.  We had the ambition and wherewithal (well he did, anyway) to carry the telescope all the way up there, only to realize that it was missing an eyepiece and couldn’t be focused.  Because we’re crazy smart astrologists like that.


Not that this mattered, as the moon was bright and the city lights were dancing.  The view was spectacular, just not very inviting for meteor shower viewing.  Also, I've got to invest in a tripod!

No comments:

Post a Comment